When MAC Maleficent Collection launched I was sure not to pick anything from this range, I have enough red lipsticks which I barely use and don’t want to stock up more. I wasn’t really interested in anything from this range but my urge for neutral eye shadow did not stop me. I am new, very much a novice when it comes to eye shadows, all I know is to start with neutrals. MAC Maleficent Collection Eyeshadow Quad was a gift from one of my friend who definitely knows my likes and dislikes. I have discovered multiple uses with this product… if you want to know more, then continue reading…
What MAC Claims: Smokey eyes in a mesmerizing mélange of deep browns, blackened gold and midnight carbon. The highly pigmented powder formula applies evenly, blends and builds beautifully. Specially designed MAC Maleficent packaging.
Price: $44 USD
MAC Maleficent Collection Eye shadow Quad consists of four permanent shades of eyeshadows that can be purchased individually.
Goldmine: Mac describes “Goldmine” as intense gold with shimmer. It is yellow golden shade with a metallic finish. I have pigmented lids and the shade gives medium to buildable coverage on me. The shimmer is quite subtle and the texture is smooth. I find it easily blends with slight fall out. MAC “Goldmine” can be patted on with a flat shader brush and for more intensity MAC fix plus is important to have.
Ground Brown: MAC Describes “Ground Brown” as a dirty deep Brown with a matte finish. It is not as dirty as the name says. I can see some red undertone to it. It will be fair enough if I describe Ground Brown as a chocolate brown (just saying :D) It has a smooth and silky texture with no fall out (at least on me) Blending is easy, I use this shade basically as a outer corner or sometimes as a crease colour. It is pigmented and applies smoothly.
Concreate: First of all, I love the name – Concrete! 😀 Mac describes “Concrete” as a muted taupe brown with satin matte finish. It is a grayish brown taupe colour. This works best for outer “V” and mixing both Concrete and Ground brown on lower line for that natural look. I have found another usage of these shades which I will talk below. The pigmentation is again very good. It has semi-opaque to buildable coverage and applies smoothly.
Carbon: The most well-known intense black eyeshadow from MAC cosmetics. MAC describes “Carbon” as Intense Black with matte finish. I have other black eye shadows from other brands but this one is grayish-black which is neither too warm nor cool. I like to call “carbon” as a neutral black shade mostly because it looks good on every skin tone. This also has good colour payoff, highly pigmented and is easily blendable.
All four eyeshadows are silky and smooth in texture, out of all four Goldmine and Carbon have a slight fall out. I definitely need an eye primer or eye base to intensify the shadows more. You can see my EOTD where I have used Goldmine on lid and mixed MAC Ground brown and MAC Concrete on outer “V” and blended. All shades last for 7-8 hours on me before creasing. I recently learnt that, mixing concrete and ground brown is a perfect match for my eyebrow – Rest is a story which you can guess 😉 I use it every day as my eyebrow powder and it lasts a whole day. This has been my go-to quad this season. #multipurpose.
I would like to reiterate this point: I have just crossed the beginner phase and learning happily, I am sorry if I don’t come up with perfection, kindly ignore my mistakes and focus on shades… 🙂 Show some love too 😛
What I like about MAC Maleficent Collection Eyeshadow Quad:
- All the shades from this quad are highly pigmented except MAC GOLDMINE.
- All shades are from permanent range. If you want, there is a scope of repurchasing.
- The colour pay off is medium to buildable.
- Silky, smooth texture and easily blendable.
- Shade like Goldmine and Carbon gives slight fall outs out of all four.
- There is only 1 frosted-shimmery shade and 3 matte finish eye shadows- those who love matte eye shadows will love it.
- MAC Concrete and MAC Ground Brown gives perfect blending shade for outer V and lower lash line.
- MAC Carbon is perfect and neutral grayish black that goes on all skin tone.
- Lasts 7-8 hours, although I believe they stay more longer periods because the least I keep my makeup on is max for 8 hours.
- I love mixing MAC Concrete and MAC Ground brown as my eyebrow filler.
What I do not like about MAC Maleficent Collection Eye shadow Quad:
- No one is happy to pay huge amount on just 4 shades of eye colours. Also don’t understand the point of putting all permanent shades in a Limited edition quad.
- I wish Goldmine was opaque because I honestly love the shade. Yellow-Gold which we don’t get to see any other palette.
I am rating this quad in terms of texture, staying power and usage. I expected new and LE shades for new launches not permanent shades. But those who love to try neutral shade like me will love it. It is a multi usage product.